Want to become more familiar with Spanish and use it in Mérida? One of the biggest concerns I hear from locals, especially Uber drivers, is that Americans expect everyone to speak English. Of course, I know that’s not you because I hear many Americans giving their best effort in Spanish. And maybe now, you are at the point where you’re looking for Spanish lessons and instruction. For this reason, I compiled a list of the Best Spanish language schools in Mérida Mexico.
I hope these options help you find the perfect school to pursue your Spanish skills.
This article was updated in March of 2023.
The 5 Best Spanish Language Schools in Mérida Mexico
Now that I live in Mérida, I have conducted a tremendous amount of research for the best Spanish language schools. Therefore, I want to share what I have learned with you. It’s true, a large part of the population does speak English. However, it is not reasonable to expect that everyone speaks to you in English.
Notably, Spanish is a beautiful language. But, when in a foreign country, it is only courteous to learn a few phrases in the native tongue.
One more thing . . in addition to the information which was taken directly from each of the schools listed, I’ve added a Tripadvisor link for reviews. Subsequently, feedback from people who have participated in these programs. I’ve also included an app for you to get started before you arrive in Mérida.
For your reference, the schools listed are in alphabetical order and do not constitute preference in any way.
“Habla connects people across communities building a world of understanding in which culture is not a barrier, but rather a possibility. It is a school and cultural center committed to connecting people across languages, cultures, and countries. At the core of Habla is a group of dedicated educators and students who, every day, bring the best of who they are to shared space.
Habla Spanish Immersion
- A year-round cross-cultural program for adults, teens, and kids.
- Spanish comes alive through shared stories and hands-on learning experiences.
- Immerse yourself in the rich variety of Mexican cuisine.
- Participate in interactive workshops that deepen your understanding of Mexican culture.
- Notably, homestays with local families allow you to practice Spanish in a real context.
- Visit during Day of the Dead to experience one of Mexico’s most celebrated holidays.
- The arts and language come alive during Habla’s summer camp for kids and teens.
Habla Spanish Online
Habla’s new online platform helps you learn Spanish the Habla way anywhere in the world. Now, connect with your favorite Habla teachers from the comfort of your home and understand why we think this is one of the best Spanish language schools in Mérida Mexico.
Read Tripadvisor reviews here.
“Our Spanish school in Mérida, Mexico offers group and private Spanish classes for travelers and ex-pats. We can customize a Spanish immersion program to fit your schedule and needs.”
- We are an educational community that specializes in learning and experiencing the Spanish language.
- Our experienced, creative teachers are native speakers committed to your learning process.
- We employ a communicative approach to teaching the Spanish language. Supplying all of the tools you need to achieve a full experience of learning and immersion in the language as well as the local and national culture.
Hola Tours and Excursions
Taking a tour of the most beautiful places in the State of Yucatan is a great experience, but doing that tour with local people and visiting unknown corners is even more fascinating.
Let us take you to wonderful places and integrate into the local life of the place you visit, while practicing the language. Our tours are designed for groups of maximum 4 people in a car at any time and place you prefer. Live the experience of a tour in Hello!
Hola Cook and Kitchen
The aim of the Cook and Kitchen courses is for the student to know more about Yucatecan food. Classes are in Spanish and the instructor provides recipes and instructions.
The courses include 3 activities:
- Buy the ingredients: Students will go out to buy the ingredients in the company of the instructor at the local market or where indicated.
- Preparation: The instructor will give the students the recipes chosen above, and will give the preparation instructions. In this activity, the student takes care of most of the food preparation.
- Tasting: Students at the end of the preparation, may have time to live together to try their dishes and talk.”
Read Tripadvisor reviews here.
3. Institute of Modern Spanish
“Founded in 1995, the Institute of Modern Spanish was the first private language institute (Spanish school) in the city of Mérida, Yucatan, Mexico, to develop educational programs devoted to the instruction of the Spanish language and Mexican & Latin American culture through full Spanish language immersion.”
- This Spanish school is based on a new concept of language learning called Integrated Spanish Language Learning.
- Programs integrate Spanish immersion language classes with a unique Mexico cultural experience with family homestay (Mérida, Yucatan, Mexico).
- By replacing the memorization of Spanish language grammar rules with total cultural experience, we enable our students to leave our programs with a knowledge of Spanish that is practical, culturally applicable, and long-lasting.
- Our programs explore the language as it is used in today’s Spanish speaking communities around Latin America and throughout the world.
- Experienced Spanish language school faculty teach all levels of students–from beginners to the most advanced. The language immersion courses integrate all aspects of Spanish language learning–speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
We feel that this is the best method of teaching the Spanish language as it is used in today’s world.
Furthermore, we use a variety of language teaching methods to ensure that all learning styles enrolled in our Spanish language school are met as one of the best Spanish language schools in Mérida Mexico.
Read Tripadvisor reviews here.
4. La Calle Spanish School Merida Mexico
“Are you searching for the most renowned and reliable Spanish school Mexico?”
- La Calle is the best choice available to study Spanish in the most effective and enjoyable way.
- No matter whether you are a beginner or one who looks for an advanced course, we have got your needs covered.
- Our Spanish school in Mexico is open 365 days a year to meet the varying learning needs of different people.
- We offer a wide range of courses including group classes, private classes, special classes for DELE Exam and more.
- When you rely on us to learn Spanish in Mexico, you can also expect some extra activities like city tours, cooking lessons, cinema at school and more.
- Being the best language school in Mexico, we retain a team of highly dedicated instructors to make the learning process systematic and result oriented.
- Experienced, knowledgeable and committed professional teachers with an impeccable track record.
The Spanish school is close to shops, restaurants, tourist places, and transport to go to the principal tourist attractions of Yucatan. We offer Spanish courses in groups or private.
Read Tripadvisor reviews here.
“The Pimsleur® Method is the foundation upon which every Pimsleur course is built. It’s a scientifically proven set of principles designed to take a learner directly to the heart of the language, eliminating noise, confusion, and information overload. People all over the world are using Pimsleur programs to start speaking, understanding, and reading new languages quickly and easily. If you haven’t experienced it for yourself, you may find it hard to believe that something so simple could work so well. The Pimsleur Method is made up of a few key principles:
Graduated Interval Recall
Dr. Pimsleur’s research on memory was perhaps one of his most revolutionary achievements. He discovered that if learners were reminded of new words at gradually increasing intervals, each time they would remember longer than the time before. He documented the optimal spacing for information to move from short-term into long-term, or permanent, memory. This theory is at the base of all the Pimsleur programs.
Principle of Anticipation
Our brains are hard-wired to automatically process speech and “anticipate” a correct response. It’s an intricate thought process that most of us take for granted. Dr. Pimsleur’s research demonstrated that new connections are activated whenever this dynamic system is triggered. By systematically asking for understanding, pausing for a response, and then reinforcing the correct response, Pimsleur courses accelerate learning, increase understanding, and activate new neural pathways in the learner’s brain.
Effective communication in any language depends on mastery of a relatively limited number of words and structures. Trying to learn too much at once substantially slows the process, and many people quickly become discouraged. Pimsleur courses deliberately limit the amount you learn at any one time, giving your brain a chance to internalize each new item before moving on. Once this foundation is built, adding new words and phrases becomes easy and natural because there’s a clear framework to attach them to.
Every new item introduced in a Pimsleur course is given within the context of a conversation or exchange. This helps learning and retention in a multitude of ways, from allowing your brain to automatically integrate intonation, rhythm, melody, and pronunciation, to embedding prompts for your memory. When you need a word, it’s there – seamlessly on the tip of your tongue.
BONUS APP: Duolingo
“Personalized education: Everyone learns in different ways. For the first time in history, we can analyze how millions of people learn at once to create the most effective educational system possible and tailor it to each student.
Our ultimate goal is to give everyone access to a private tutor experience through technology.
Duolingo Teaching Approach
“We believe that anyone can learn a language with Duolingo.”
- They offer free, bite-sized lessons feel more like a game than a textbook, and that’s by design: learning is easier when you’re having fun.
- But Duolingo isn’t just a game. It’s based on a methodology proven to foster long-term retention, and a curriculum aligned to an international standard. Let’s explore how language learning happens with Duolingo!
Duolingo Standout Content
Along with commonly used phrases like “¿Dónde está el baño?” (Where is the bathroom?), Duolingo learners also encounter sentences like “Tu oso bebe cerveza” (Your bear drinks beer). Why the quirky sentences? They’re memorable and more fun to learn. Our unexpected content also pushes learners to think carefully about the language they’re learning.
Duolingo Balanced Approach
Duolingo allows learners to discover patterns on their own without needing to focus on language rules — the same way you learned your first language as a child. This approach, called “implicit learning,” is ideal for developing a strong foundational knowledge of a language and its rules. But explicit instruction is useful for some concepts. So Duolingo offers both! In addition to lessons, learners can access Tips for explanations of grammar, pronunciation, and helpful phrases.
Duolingo is Universally Accessible
Over 1.2 billion people are learning a language and the majority are doing so to gain access to better opportunities. Unfortunately, learning a language is expensive and inaccessible to most. We created Duolingo so that everyone could have a chance. Free language education – no hidden fees, no premium content, just free.
From public school students in developing countries to the richest man in the world to Hollywood stars, Duolingo is a favorite of many. We believe true equality is when spending more can’t buy you a better education.”
One-on-One Private Spanish Lessons
There are also many wonderful people in Mérida who are available for one-on-one private lessons. Pricing varies. However, a private teacher customizes your experience based on your needs and wants.
Find private instructors in many of the Facebook groups created for expats visiting or living in Mérida.
Just a few of these groups include:
New Expats Mérida, Yucatan, Mexico
- First Mérida Amigos
Final thoughts on the best Spanish Language Schools in Mérida Mexico
The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is learn important and necessary phrases along with simple, conversational Spanish.
Not surprisingly, when you speak another language, even at a basic level, it improves your experience. Here in Mérida, it’s no different. Imagine using your new Spanish language skills the next time you are out picking up a few groceries in Mérida – it’s a great place to practice your Spanish.
Posted by Life in Merida on Friday, June 12, 2020