Mexico has long been known as a medical tourism destination. Most specifically, dental tourism. A quick trip across the border can literally save you thousands of dollars. Did you know that Mérida is quickly becoming a dental tourism destination? Yes, it’s a fact. Why? Safety, beautiful environment, helpful people and, of course, to see the Best Dentist in Mérida.
In the past, a trip to Mexico for dentistry was met with skepticism. Fortunately, through education, internet and social media, the modern side of dentistry has been exposed and publicized. Subsequently, many expats and visitors actively promote and recommend visiting Mexico as a medical destination.
In this article, I’d like to introduce you to Dr. Guillermo Trujillo Losa, the Best Dentist in Mérida, and his staff at Whiteline Dental Clinic.
But first, let’s take a look at some important information to further educate you on the process of dental tourism in Mérida.
This article was updated in April of 2023.
Please note: For my initial visit, I paid out of pocket for my visit to try the services of Dr. Guillermo and his staff. I always want a completely unbiased experience from start to finish and this is the outcome of my experience. Additionally, my opinion of the service from Dr. Guillermo and his staff was not influenced at all. I assure you I was completely, thoroughly and 1,000% satisfied with the service. Otherwise, I would not have written this article about the best dentist in Mérida.
Lower dental prices in Mexico
First, if you are thinking about traveling to Mexico for dental work done ensure the clinic you visit is top-rated. Specifically, you’ll find a lot of cheap dentists that offer top-quality services. BUT, buyer beware. If it sounds too good to be true, then it might be. Make sure you thoroughly research, vet and ask for recommendations and referrals for your chosen dentist.
Most definitely, Mexico offers lower dental prices because of:
- Operating costs of the clinics are lower.
- Cost of living expenses are lower.
- High competition among Mexican clinics.
As you can see, lower quality services are not included on the list. Notably, you DO NOT have to compromise quality when you opt for dental services in Mexico.
My great experience with Dr. Guillermo!
Dental work in Mexico
Mexico is a preferred dental destination for many reasons:
- Prices are more affordable, especially with more comprehensive issues.
- Mexico is easy to get to and is accessible from world-wide destinations.
- Cheap flights and tourist packages can be combined with dental tourism for an extended vacation.
- Appointment availability means there’s no waiting weeks or months for an appointment.
Notably, a few other interesting facts:
- Mexico is a well-established favorite vacation destination for Americans who logged over 10 million tourist arrivals during the first quarter of 2018.
- Location and cheap fares are budget friendly for follow up visits when needed.
- Cancun International airport is the second busiest Airport in Mexico and the fourth in Latin America.
- The U.S. dollar goes a lot further in Mexico due to a favorable currency exchange rate.
I appreciate that one of the first things you seen upon arriving to Whiteline Dental Clinic is their Mission, Vision, & Values.
Dental services in Mérida
Traveling to Mérida for dental work may not be something you considered. But, how can 1,000,000 patients seeking treatment in Mexico be wrong? Additionally, by adding the actual cost of the dental work plus airfare and accomodations, you still end up saving money. And guess what, you’ll treat yourself to a great vacation too!
You’ll find a full spectrum of services offered including:
- Metal Free Crowns
- Teeth Whitening
- Crowns & Bridges
- Teeth Whitening
- Root canals
- Missing Teeth
- Tooth Discoloration
- Cracked, Chipped or Broken Teeth
- Sedation Dentistry
- Gaps Between Teeth, Crooked & Poorly Aligned Teeth
- Root Planing, Scaling and Polishing
- Restorative Dentistry
- Tooth Extraction
- Sedation Dentistry
- Laser Dentistry
- Cosmetic Dentistry
Okay, so enough with the statistics and boring information for now. Next, it’s my pleasure to introduce you to Dr. Guillermo Trujillo Losa or Dr. Guillermo as I call him. Not surprisingly, Dr. Guillermo is the best dentist in Mérida.
Dr. Guillermo of Whiteline Dental Clinic!
Best Dentist in Mérida
There’s no denying it, I am a complete wimp when going to the dentist. I get nervous, agitated and my palms sweat. Besides that, I have a really small mouth. So, every time I go to the dentist I get a headache and my mouth will hurt for days. Dr. Guillermo was recommended on many Facebook groups for expats.
Taking a chance (because sometimes you get the wrong information), I thought “I’ll try him for myself.” What I initially liked, other than the recommendations, was the fact that his office was very close to our house. Not surprisinly, this was a B-I-G plus.
The next thing I liked were the prices for a cleaning which is all I needed at the time. His clinic was offering a cleaning special of $500 pesos (approx. $25 US). WOW! What a bargain . . . so I had to try this for myself.
Apart from this, you may not know about the water in Yucatan and the high mineral content here. Notably, this is a concern for me and was the focus of the questions I had for Dr. Guillermo.
Q & A with the Best Dentist in Mérida
How often to visit the dentist for regular checkups in Mérida because of the water?
Dr. Guillermo: See the dentist at least every 6 months in order to see the general state of your mouth.
How does the water in Mérida affect teeth and gums?
Dr. Guillermo: There are different theories about this. But, the reality is that if you have good hygiene habits and regular check-ups, you can maintain your dental health in optimal conditions. The water in Mérida should not have an effect.
Are there preventative measures you can recommend?
Dr. Guillermo: Brushing after each meal, flossing and rinsing. Of course, a dental check-up and cleaning every 6 months with a dentist.
Is there a toothpaste, type of toothbrush and brand of floss you recommend?
Dr. Guillermo: No, if you are in the habit of use all the tools listed, most of the brands on the market can be good options. Personally, I like a traditional medium bristle toothbrush and conventional Colgate or Oral B toothpaste.
Very comfortable, modern, and clean at Whiteline Dental Clinic.
What are the top 5 dental needs your clients have?
Dr. Guillermo: They usually require some type of prosthesis treatment, gum treatment, root canal treatment, wisdom teeth and implants. Orthodontics is very common too.
What is the timeframe and cost for a crown?*
Dr. Guillermo: If it’s just the crown, no root canal or no post, it is usually 7 – 10 days average. However, it could be less. It will depends on the case. Average cost: $5,900 – $6,500 MX (metal porcelain crown) which is approximately $290 – $320 US.
*This is the current cost at the time this article was written. Each individual case is different and the cost may vary from case to case. I highly recommend making an appointment via phone call, virtual call or in person to determine your exact dental needs and costs.
What is the timeframe and cost for a root canal?*
Dr. Guillermo: The treatment is usually in one and a half hours in one day’s time. Occasionally, it may require 2 appointments. However, this is not usual. Although the treatment is in 1 appointment, we ask medical tourism patients to stay an average of 7 days. This is so we can address any complications or concerns the patient may experience. Average cost: $2,950 – $3,300 MX which is approximately $145 – $162 US.
*Please note, costs change frequently. Therefore, each individual case is different and the cost may vary from case to case. I highly recommend making an appointment via phone call, virtual call or in person to determine your exact dental needs and costs.
Do you offer gum surgery?
Dr. Guillermo: Yes, we do.
What makes you different from other dentists in Mérida?
Dr. Guillermo: The customer service that we provide, the technology we use, and our facilities. Most importantly, all of our specialists speak English.
I really love the color combinations – helps make me feel more at ease and less anxious.
Can you briefly describe the process for an in depth and detailed consultation for someone needing a comprehensive dental plan?
In this example, the focus is a client coming to Mérida for dental tourism and needs several procedures.
Dr. Guillermo: This is a step-by-step process as follows:
• Importantly, when a patient does not live here, I prefer to schedule a video call first. This helps both the patient and I to get to know each other. I also need to know their needs and expectations of treatment.
• After that, I will ask them for current information such as x-rays or tomography. Once I have this history, I can be more precise with length of appointment times and prices.
• Then, we make a treatment plan with the patient and plan the first visit or trip.
• When a patient arrives to the clinic for the first time, medical records are updated. Next, we perform a full check-up to confirm that the treatment plan either remains the same or needs to be modified.
• After that, the treatment(s) begin(s). Keeping the patient’s timeframe and needs in mind, we try to perform as much as possible during this first trip.
• Before the end of the first trip, we discuss with the patient about the next steps. If a second visit is involved, we do everything we can to organize everything in the best way possible. This continues until the treatment is finished.
• For comprehensive work, usually the patients require more than one trip.
What is the best dental advice you can recommend for expats living in Mérida?
Dr. Guillermo: Always have an evaluation every 6 months to detect problems early. If someone is going to have any dental treatment, see that the doctor is a specialist in the area that will be treated.
Now, you can clearly see why I think Dr. Guillermo is the best dentist in Mérida.
My Testimonal for the Best Dentist in Mérida
I wanted to share my review so you can see for yourself what an amazing experience I had:
From the time I first contacted Whiteline until the time I left my appointment, I felt valued as a client. The ease of making my appointment set the pace for the entire experience. The one thing that stood out was how much care Dr. Guillermo has for his clients.
Dr. Eduardo was the same as he greeted me like an old friend when I arrived. An incredible experience that I highly recommend.
Normally, I am quite anxious about the dentist but this time, I only felt calm and secure.
THANK YOU to a wonderful team and I highly recommend Whiteline Clinica Dental. 10 STARS!
So now, let’s jump back into more information about dental tourism and why you should consider it.
The clinic is very easy to find – Local B y C, Calle 17 69, Col. México, 97125
U.S. General Dental Health Statistics
Surprisingly, you may find the statistics below a bit shocking. As uncertainty of job security along with rising insurance coverage (or lack of it), I think you will find Mexico will continue to be a destination of choice for those seeking more affordable dentistry.
- Adult population in America have no natural teeth (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016) = 7%
- Young adults take days off because of their teeth (Health Policy Institute, 2015) = 15%
- American’s aged 75 and over have lost all natural teeth (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016) = 24.6%
- Low-income adults have difficulty biting or chewing (Health Policy Institute, 2015) = 42%
- Experience anxiety due to the condition of their mouth and teeth (Health Policy Institute, 2015) = 1 in 5
- American adults avoid smiling due to the condition of their teeth (Health Policy Institute, 2015) = 1 in 4
- U.S. population (aged 30 years and above) suffers from periodontal diseases (cdc.gov) = Nearly 50%
- Americans receive diagnoses each year with this largely preventable type of cancer that affects the mouth and/or pharynx. (National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, 2018) = Approximately 49,700
Top reasons why adults avoid the dentist include cost, fear of the dentist, and inability to find a convenient location or appointment time. Specifically, 59% of adults indicated that they forgo dental care due to cost, 22% because they are afraid of the dentist, and 19% because they cannot find a convenient location or appointment time. (ada.org)
Whiteline Dental Clinic goes above and beyond to ensure client’s comfort.
FAQ’s About Dental Tourism in Mérida
Why Mérida for dentistry?
- Easy to get to (can fly direct or into Cancun)
- Affordable dental care
- Quality of services
- High level of customer service
- Inexpensive for budget-conscious
Where is Mérida?
Mérida is located in the State of Yucatan, Mexico with a population just over 1,000,000. Additionally, Cancun, Tulum and Playa del Carmen are all mega-destinations for thousands of tourists annually. Just 3 hours west, you will arrive in the capital of Mérida.
Is Mérida Safe?
Did you know, CeoWorld Magazine ranked Mérida as the second safest city in North America in 2019? It is also Mexico’s safest city, the safest city in Latin America and considered as safe as Europe.
Do I need to speak Spanish?
No, Dr. Guillermo and his specialists speak English. They see many dental tourism clients annually and cater to American and Canadian patients.
What happens if something goes wrong – is the work guaranteed?
Typically, less than 0.01% of patients encounter difficulties. On these rare occurrences, any problems are corrected. Should you have any issue with your dental care, the procedures and lab work are guaranteed.
When Is the best time to visit?
While Mérida is known for being hot and humid, the large portion of the year is incredibly beautiful and pleasant. Notably, you’ll want to avoid the hot summer and the rainy season. Without a doubt, the best months will be from October to April. However, navigate the temperatures easily with a few tips and tricks you’ll find here.
Where is the best place to stay in Mérida?
Be sure to download our Mérida Visitor’s Guide (see below) to find the best hotels and things to do in the city.
What payment methods are accepted?
No doubt, cash is always king and pesos in Mérida definitely rule. Dr. Guillermo’s office accepts cash in pesos and credit cards. Inquire in advance for payment arrangements.
What else is there to do in Mérida?
Yes, Mérida offers vibrant communities, both large and small, where history and culture are important. There is something for everyone here. While you are in Mérida, feel free to move about the city with ease and curiosity. The locals are always willing to help and answer questions. You will find there are no definitive lines between neighborhoods. However, the people who live in them will surely assist you with the boundaries and the colorful stories that make each of them special. Mérida offers gastronomy, culture, arts, tourism, artisanal crafts and much, much more.
Final Thoughts on the Best Dentist in Mérida
Historically, travelers from the U.S. and Canada cross the border for discounted medical supplies, pharmaceuticals, medical and dental care. Therefore, Mexico has a history as a popular tourist destination. Additionally, it’s natural that it has also become a location for dental tourism as well. Along with affordable prices and quality care, Mérida offers visitors historical archaeological sites, influence of Maya and Aztec, gastronomy, art and culture in a colonial city with modern touches.
Contact Whiteline via social media or Whatsapp +52 999.135.4778
Connect with Whiteline, google them and see all their great testimonials from 100% satisfied clients!